Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Antique Highboy with Butterfly

The man I bought this from said it belonged to his mother.  She loved collecting antiques and bought this little beauty at an estate sale.  She took very good care of it which I am very thankful for! :)

I knew I wanted to lighten it up and, of course, I knew I wanted to accent the cute oval on the middle drawer.  
This piece is all mahogany and the bleed through was bad again.  I just took a deep breath and gave it several coats of shellac throughout the whole process.  Does anyone else have issues with bleed through even when using shellac or a primer like Kilz?  Have I ever mentioned it is my biggest  pet peeve (I'm sure I haven't ;) )!


 Before




 After


I'm so into gray right now!  I love how clean and crisp it feels paired with the white.  It's such a great neutral, too!


 I wanted the oval to really stand out, so I heavily white washed it and then used the wax paper method to transfer this lovely little graphic I found.  I like how it's eye catching, but still subtle.



 I haven't used these in a while and forgot how much I adore them!  Love the warmth of the antiquing with the cool hues of the shiny silver. 



 The legs and skirt are the only places I really distressed this piece.  I saw all those ridges and couldn't help myself. 



 She's got a great finish!












Have a busy week so on to the next one! :)

Linked up here:

9 comments:

  1. This. Is. Beautiful. Every time you do a new one, I say that's my fav! Is this milk paint or latex? Did you brush it on or spray? It looks perfect! Love your work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely beautiful. Those details did the trick, I'm in love with this piece. Great job, thanks for sharing. Pinning to my furniture board now :)
    -Molly from Just a Little Creativity

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! Only I wish you'd posed a dog in front of it because I've had "Dog and Butterfly" running through my head after seeing this piece. =D

    -andi

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've done it again, missy! She is a beautiful piece, wow!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Very well done, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michele! I wish I would have kept every comment you've given me. I would make a book out of them and keep in it my shop. On the days I feel like crap I would get it out and read it over and over again. You're always too nice (but don't stop, lol).

      Delete
  5. Tannin stains are the bain of my existance LOL -
    Ok - I almost gasped when I saw this makeover - it's absolutely stunning !!!
    What an incredibly beautiful makeover!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Suzan! And congrats on having your little sideboard featured on Hometalk! It was beautiful! :)

      Delete

Love your comments! Please feel free to leave one!! <3